Midnight Bloom's Reviews > Lexie

Lexie by Audrey Couloumbis

May 12, 11

Read on May 10, 2011

I don't usually read too many middle grade novels anymore, but when I found myself with a copy of Lexie in my hands, I jumped on the chance to read a story about a young girl who's summer plans with her father lead to unexpected surprises.

Lexie was a great, young protagonist who immediately grew on me right away. Her parents have recently divorced and it's her first summer vacation away from her mother at her father's beach house. She's an avid reader (yay!), so she's already planned her summer books to bring along and hopes to have some fun combing the beach with her Dad. And when you learn that she's not going to get some alone time after all, and that her Dad has decided to invite his girlfriend and her own two children along without saying a word to her... your heart does a little flip and plummet like Lexie's.

You can quickly understand her point of view and why she's less than thrilled to be sharing her Dad with people that are practically strangers to her. Her hurt feelings and her Dad's clueless behaviour to the situation will have your heart reaching out to her. And perhaps because she's only ten, she does lack the bitterness that might have been expected from a character in a YA novel and is willing to at least make the best of the situation. This is a week for Lexie where she'll find more hidden treasures than the ones simply found on a beach... just maybe, she'll come to form new friendships and learn that family can be found in different forms.

It was a quick read for me but I enjoyed reading every single page of this story nonetheless! It's a cute, summer novel that I think younger readers will find most delightful but there's also some important messages you can take away after reading the novel as well!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lexie.

05/10/2011 page 73