Chelsea's Reviews > The Preacher's Bride

The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund

4752099
May 10, 11

Read in May, 2011

This was my neglect the dishes, laundry, and encourage the kids to play too much Wii book of the day. I felt compelled to finish the book and find out what happened even though the book isn't terribly suspenseful. Jody Hedlund's writing was great and her character development was perfect. I really felt as if I knew Mary the 8 year-old child who was blind and the impossible better-than-thou attitude of Mrs. Grew. I loved the main character Elizabeth who both had her opinions and was willing to share them but sincerely wanted to do what God wanted her to do and was willing to set aside her own interests for His. Ultimately this book made me think of my blessing to live in a time when we can worship how we choose. So many gave their lives to establish the religious freedom I enjoy today. One quote that will keep me thinking for a while was by Sister Norton towards the end of the book when Elizabeth is feeling overwhelmed by her trials "Hardships are the Lord's greatest blessings to a believer.
Without them we would love the Lord only for what He does for us. Our troubles teach
us to love Him for who He is".
I think you should definitely read this book but make sure you start it on a day you have nothing else to do.")

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Preacher's Bride.