Siria's Reviews > Lord Peter

Lord Peter by Dorothy L. Sayers

Jun 05, 07

bookshelves: 20th-century, british-fiction, crime-fiction, short-stories
Read in August, 2005

Overall, this was a terribly enjoyable collection of short stories. Some of the stories were less engaging than others. Sayers' strengths never included writing pot-boilers along the lines of the story where Lord Peter infiltrates some kind of international communist criminal ring. That felt rather too much like dated pulp fiction. The best stories, in my opinion, were those which dealt with the people and incidents which I am so familiar with from the full length novels; the story which featured Peter and a young Lord St George, for instance. My favourite stories were the last two, The Haunted Policeman, which tells the story of the night when Peter's first son was born, and Talboys, which takes place in 1942, a couple of years after Peter and Harriet's last child is born. There are some fantastic lines scattered throughout, and Sayers uses the backdrop of the 'mysteries' to show us some lovely aspects of the characters.

"I'll tell you a secret, Bredon. Grown-up people don't always know everything, though they try to pretend they do. That is called 'prestige', and is responsible for most of the wars that devastate the continent of Europe."

Oh, Peter. If Harriet ever tires of you, for some unknown reason, I would gladly have you.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Peter.