Maureen's Reviews > The Devil's Light

The Devil's Light by Richard North Patterson

Jun 04, 11

bookshelves: thriller, fiction, middle-east

Better as a on a primer on how nuclear weapons could be deployed from Lebanon, The Devil's Light is only a so-so novel. I hate saying this, because I normally enjoy Richard North Patterson's work. This one kept me going because it was jam-packed with interesting information, maps, and theories of things that could happen in the real world. His novel Exile, centered around Israel and Palestine was a much more moving work, while still imparting much about the area and people.

The story moves along at a good clip, but the action overwhelms the characters. There are times when they are making speeches solely to impart information to the reader: a vehicle I understand the necessity for, but, at the same time, find diminishing to the people in the story.

I know that atomic weaponry is and will continue to be a real and present danger. Maybe I am a little burned out on the story line, though. I would like to give this book 3.5 stars: 3 as a novel, but a 4 or maybe even a 5 for information. I recommend this book on the basis that it makes the reader consider how easily we could all go up in a mushroom cloud of nuclear annihilation.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Light.