Mel (Daily Prophecy)'s Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Sep 21, 2013

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from August 09 to 10, 2012

Hex Hall “Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."Mom gave a startled laugh.
"Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”

I have a new best friend and her name is Sophie Mercer. After an unsuccessful attempt for a prom-night spell, she is sent to Hecate Hall (also Hex Hall) on Graymalkin Island. This school is for Prodigium (also known as witches, faeries, shapeshifters, werewolves etc) She’s not happy. She lives a good live together with her non-gifted mother; her father is a warlock, but he is out of the picture. Still, he is the one who sentence her to Hex Hall.By the end of her first day, Sophie already made three powerful enemies. She also developed a crush on Archer, a gorgeous warlock and she made friends with her roommate; a girl who happens to be the only vampire in the school. The pink-crazy Jenna.

“But this room looked like it had been decorated by the unholy lovechild of Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake.”

She also has the feeling that a ghost is stalking her, but that’s not possible, right? When Sophie learns about a mysterious predator who has been attacking students – and is still on the move – she knows that there is no way her school year will be boring. When the attacking continues, and everybody blames Jenna, Sophie tries to convince them that it’s an ancient secret society who is determined to destroy all Prodigium; (short name) The Eye. But nobody could prepare her for the real killer, because sometimes, looks really deceive.

Opinion.
Oh, how I loved this book! Sophie is fantastic. She is witty, sarcastic and sweet. Yes, she develops a crush right away because the boy is hot as hell, but it was nice to see that she waits until they grow to each other. And be honest: I think we all had a crush in school on a boy because of his looks. It makes her a believable teenager.he really cracked me up. There is something about the way she says things, in such a nonchalant way. I really could imagine her voice in my head. Just look at it, her comment to Cal – who is the ground keeper (and he sounds attractive):

“So if you can heal with your touch, why are you working here as like, Hagrid, or whatever?”

There is also Jenna, perhaps one of the biggest ‘freaks’ in the school. She is so cool. Even when everybody blames her, she tries to stand up for herself. Her room sounds horrible with all the pink, but it gave her a real personality. Her story is touching.The ending of this book was great. I didn’t see it coming. I knew that Sophie was powerful, but I was pleasantly surprised by the conclusion. That brings me to the writing style. It’s easy and fast-paced; it was highly entertaining. I’m so glad that there is a second book.You definitely need to read this book if you like funny, easy books about magical creatures. You won’t be disappointed, because this book has everything. From danger and drama to romance.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.

Vivian super curious about this series; haven't read it either. is it any good so far? ^^

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (Daily Prophecy) I like it! Sophia is funny :D

Vivian great review, Mel!

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (Daily Prophecy) Thanks!