Crimsonsigh's Reviews > Marked

Marked by Kim Richardson

May 10, 11

Repost from Amazon Review:
I wanted to like this book more, I did. I liked the characters and the story. It was well-written and in a lot of ways, I found it hard to believe this was a first novel.
I think Richardson is a talented author and I will be reading the next book, for sure.

But the biggest drawback of this book is that it is so HARD to connect with a character that has no backstory. And baby, I mean NONE. I know nothing about her going in except she has brown hair that hangs down her back, she has a mother who is crazy, and she does something artistic (painting, maybe?). I kept reading, (because the story was good) and hoping that at SOME point there would be a flashback or a bit of explanation about Kara's life before becoming a GA. What were her motivations as a character?
The end of the story, and her joy at becoming a human again, just seemed to ring false, because from what little I was told, there was nothing to go back to. She didn't have friends(except Mat), her career as an artist had yet to become anything, her mother was crazy (no wait, a guardian angel, no wait, dead and then alive over and over) and her life kind of sucked. Why does she want soooo badly to go back there?

So, my plea to the author... please, please, please, give me more to go on in the next book. You're good enough that I'm going to pick it up, but if I have to go through the confusion of this book, I won't be finishing out the series.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.