Ryan Au's Reviews > The Enemy

The Enemy by Charlie Higson

M 50x66
May 10, 11

This book was very entertaining, lots of action through out the whole novel. The author’s ability to kill off characters without hesitation made the book all the more interesting. The deaths of major characters, such as, Arran, Freak elevated the tension. The book’s actions were well thought out, and deaths occurred at strategic points that would keep the readers on the edge of the seat and can’t wait to flip the page to see what unexpected event would happen next, for example, after Arran died, I was sure that there is no safe haven and that anyone can die, even the protagonists.
I enjoyed the great variety of characters in the book and each one of their unique personalities. The characters are classified into different groups. There are the leaders; the fighters and the kids with unique abilities that helped them survive. These characters gave the book dynamic, kept the book realistic and made the book interesting.
Character development is a major part of the book and I enjoyed every last bit of it. Maxie, the original second in command next to Arran grows tremendously after Arran’s death. She relied on Arran to make the difficult decisions and was the support but after his death she became the leader that everyone looked up to. At the beginning she would have thought about what Arran would do if anything happened but towards the end, she started to think for herself and the best for the kids and not about what Arran would do. As the book mentioned and I agree, Maxie changed from a peace-time leader to a war-time leader.
One thing I did not enjoy as much as the rest of the novel is the side story, I felt that the side story with Small Sam took up too much room in the novel. The side story was overpowering the main storyline. Although informative with information such as that not all adults are infected and that there are more places in the city with organized kids, the side story was too long and it could have been a book on its own.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enemy.

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz haha I agree with everything you just said ;)