Alyssa's Reviews > The Guy Next Door

May 10, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from May 11 to 14, 2011

3.75 Stars

I have to make a confession...I usually don't like these types of books, several novellas all rolled into a nice package. I am the type of gal who likes a longer read simply because, IMO, that gives the author more words to deliver a story that has everything I hope to gain. World building, character development & so on. I've often referred to novellas as the wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am for novels - while they are ok on occasion I'd much prefer the opposite. With that being said, I really enjoyed these 3 stories! The main reason I read this book was for the Lori Foster story. I received an ARC of Trace of Fever and before I read it, I had to read the 1st two stories (yes, I'm one of those people that must read a series in order ~ OCD-Obsessive chronological disorder). I've never had the pleasure of reading anything by any of the authors of this book, but, I intend to remedy that very quickly!

Ready, Set, Jett by Lori Foster
Very sweet love story between Jett & Natalie who live next door to each other. They originally start off as no more than neighbors with benefits. Notice I didn't say friends, yeah, they weren't because they never got to know each other except in the biblical sense, lol. Jett gets tired of that and realizes that he wants more. The story that follows is all about them finding love. My only complaint with this story is that they are pronouncing their love for each other after only a few days. I know. I know, it's a book, but come on. Even if you count the few months they were sleeping together, they still weren't talking & trying to establish groundwork for a releationship. However, I see that in a lot of books I read so it's not really something that is specific to only this story so I don't really fault it. Overall, it made me want to read the next book in the series. It lays the groundwork for When You Dare very nicely!

Gail’s Gone Wild by Susan Donovan
Gail is a divorced 37 yr old woman with a teenage daughter who wants to go off by herself for spring break. Gail quickly squashes that idea and in turn suggests that she chaperone a trip instead. During the trip Gail meets & proceeds to have a whirlwind romance with a man who lives in the house next to their vacation rental. Short & hot love story between two people who aren’t scared to acknowledge what they want & need from a relationship. Loved the dynamic between the two characters and was very pleased with the story in general. It was the only one not tied to a series in any way so, it felt complete.

Just One Taste by Victoria Dahl
Eric & Beth meet each other at a business convention. Beth wrongly assumes that Eric is his brother, Jaime. They end up having a one night stand and Eric, regretfully, never makes it known that he is not Jaime. This was my least favorite out of all the stories. Instead of it wrapping up nice & neat with Beth & Eric running off to happy ever after land, it ends up that they walk away from each other on a to be continued…basis until their full book comes out. Soooo, you would think that their book would be the first in the series right? Wrong, it’s the last one!!!!!! So my problem doesn’t really lie with the story, it’s just that I really liked the characters and want to see what happens to them. I just don’t want to wait until book 3. Patience is a virtue and Lord knows I wasn’t blessed with any!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guy Next Door.