Katie's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

May 10, 11

bookshelves: audio-and-paper, beta-hero, ultra-rich-hero
Read in May, 2011

Where She Went, the sequel to If I Stay was a satisfying conclusion to Mia and Adam's story. I enjoyed this author's writing and these two books so much I read both of them in one day (on a work day even).

Every so often, and I'm saying maybe two or three times in a year I am lucky enough to stumble across a book so soul wrenching that I think about it for days or even weeks after I'm done reading it. If I Stay was one of those books for me, and though I liked Where She Went and it scratched my itch for Mia and Adam's happily ever after, it didn't pull at my heart strings as much as its predecessor.

Adam has made it. He and his band Shooting Star are a rock music sensation. It appears as though he has it all, fame, money, a beautiful famous girlfriend and a talent for creating music. This is nothing to him however because the one thing he wants, the thing that he has always wanted left him and he is a mess without her.

I have to say I LOVED Adam. He is one of my fantasy men. Hot rocker that is so in love that he has trouble functioning without his one true love (I know that's not healthy but hey it's a fantasy). With that I have to put out there that I wish this book could be made into an adult version, so we could delve more into the rocker life that Adam lived without Mia. The biggest thing I loved about If I Stay was that Gayle Forman made me feel what Mia was feeling. I was sick with dread for her. I couldn't get to that emotional place with Adam. Again I loved him and thought he was a remarkable character, but I felt that because of the limitations placed on a YA book we just couldn't get deep enough into the darkness of Adam's misery.

Ok, to be fair... I've just read too many "adult" books with rockers and I felt a little robbed of the naughty stuff that I love so much in them. I shouldn't fault the author, or the book for that. This is a YA book and for what it is, it is a great conclusion with the same great leading guy and gal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.