Dorian's Reviews > The Limit

The Limit by Kristen Landon

U 50x66
May 10, 11

Read in May, 2011

The Limit by Kristeen Landon is an action packed book with an interesting concept. It revolves around the story of a 13 year old boy named Matt and his adventures. It takes place in a society similar to the one today, but there is one difference, the government have much more power and control over family’s lives. Matt himself has the misfortune of being taken away to a workhouse to work off his parent’s debt. Luckily, Matt is a smart kid and is placed on the top floor where the most intelligent people are. Here everything seems normal and life is actually enjoyable. But many events follow and Matt discovers the dark secrets of the workhouse.

In my opinion, it is a good book overall. I find the characters to be likable as well as realistic. Many of the characters develop throughout the story as events occur and as you learn more about them, making you like and understand them even more. From the beginning the book captures your interest and manages to keep it for the majority of the book. Plenty of events occur throughout the book keeping you entertained. But I find that as the story progresses, especially at the end, the plot becomes less exciting and more predictable. Unnecessary events happen that don’t contribute to the climax or fall of the plot very much and some even end with unsatisfying results. Much of the workhouse’s secrets can already be predicted before Matt learns of them himself. The conclusion I find to be the most disappointing part of the book. It’s too abrupt and isn’t closed off as well as it could have been.

Overall this is a book with a good concept, but not carried out very well. Several parts could use more details and the plot could have been further expanded on. I also feel that it is a book overrated by others; it’s not as interesting or exciting as made out by others. But this book does have some relations to life and our society which I find intriguing; a lesson that can be learned about debt and control. This is a book I would recommend for young teens from the ages of 10 to 14.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Limit.