Darlene's Reviews > Once Upon a Time, There Was You

Once Upon a Time, There Was You by Elizabeth Berg

May 12, 2011

Read from May 10 to 12, 2011

I always enjoy Elizabeth Berg's books. She creates characters who are so vividly true-to-life.. right down to each character's personality flaws and all of the other neuroses that real people possess. In this story, John and Irene are a long divorced, middle aged couple living in separate parts of the country. The bond between them is their intense love and devotion for their 18 year old daughter, Sadie. A traumatic event happens to Sadie and immediately Irene calls John for support. John rushes to San Francisco to be with Irene and Sadie. John's and Irene's feelings, about themselves, each other and their marriage and what went wrong provide the background for this emotional story. John and Irene find themselves examining their marriage and what kind of people they are at this point in their lives and try to answer the question that so many people ask themselves in middle age.. what now? What am I looking for now in my life to make me fulfilled and happy? The depth of Berg's characters always appeals to me and makes her stories so riveting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Time, There Was You.

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Duretta I've never read Elizabeth Berg but have always meant to. Maybe I'll start with this one! I really liked Gilead, which you're reading now.

Darlene Hi Nick! You know, I started reading Elizabeth Berg's books several years ago and I noticed that many times her characters annoyed me. I really thought about that and I realized that the characters that annoyed me most had some of my own characteristics.. you know, sometimes it's difficult to see yourself in someone else. I really DO enjoy her books though. Definitely give this one shot. If you do, I would love to hear what you think about it. And I'm reading Gilead for my 'real life' book club. The meeting is Tuesday night. I'll let you know what I think.