Smash's Reviews > Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between by J.A. Saare

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, read-2011, book-reviews, favorites, review-request-complete, read-own-ebooks
Recommended for: rban Fantasy Fans / Vampire Vixens
Read from May 10 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

From the very first line of the book..

"Rhiannon’s Law #27: When you’re working in a gentleman’s club and one of your dancers takes off those heels, alert the big guns, an ass kicking is on the menu."

…I knew I would love Rhiannon in all her snarky, sassy glory. She did not let me down and kept me quite entertained throughout the book. She is feisty, sarcastic, extremely independent and comes with quite a potty mouth that she finds hard to contain.

“Multitask? What do I look like, a fucking secretary?” My temper flared before I could bite it back. Erica wasn’t the only one with a big mouth. I was constantly in danger of writing checks my ass couldn’t cash, the bearer of a lifelong disease of potty mouth that no amount of soap in this world could properly cleanse."

It wasn’t easy getting to know Rhiannon, but you certainly appreciate and understand her much more as the story progresses. You learn that Rhiannon’s independence and ‘fuck the world’ attitude stems from a life full of pain and misery caused by her former foster parents. You definitely feel sympathy for her, but also know that Rhiannon would hand you your ass for any pity focused in her direction. Her past is dark and twisted, but she has done what she set out to do from the age of 14: survive.

Rhiannon has a special, unique ability that she hasn’t fully learned about and she struggles with it on a daily basis. In walks Disco, a hot piece o’ vampire that has learned of her talent and asks her to help solve a local mystery. He also offers her a chance to hone her skill. Rhiannon is not excited to work with vampires, but she soon agrees and the story explodes into action.

Hot damn, do I have a new book boyfriend! Disco is delicious in many ways. He is gentle, empathetic, trustworthy, protective, and sexy as hell. Yes, he ends up being Rhiannon’s love interest, and their first sex scene is so intimate and beautiful. And the shower scene after…

The author describes Disco…

"Disco was everything a woman could possibly want. He was gorgeous, he was powerful, and he was the most generous soul I’d ever met. He never expected more than a person was willing to give, not even when he loved them."

Disco isn’t without his own hellish past, and instead of turning into a sadistic vampire that hates with a fierce passion, he has morphed into a loving, compassionate soul that realizes hate only makes you miss out on the beauty in life.

”If her death taught me anything, it’s this. Cherish the time you have. Don’t worry about tomorrow. Right now is all we are promised.”

I was quite enamored with the author’s writing! Not only does she bring the sarcasm, but she also has some very creative phrasing. I thought her storytelling was very entertaining. The book ends in a completely different way then I ever expected. You are introduced to an entirely new supernatural element, that takes the story on very, very different path. I thoroughly look forward to reading The Renfield Syndrome, due out this August.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between.

Quotes Smash Liked

J.A. Saare
“Stripping is not a fair or unbiased career field. Your body and looks are your livelihood. Once those two things go, it’s only a matter of time before you punch your last T and A ticket – and Erica’s stub was wilting faster than a golden wrapped candy bar that would gain her admittance into the chocolate factory.”

J.A. Saare
“Multitask? What do I look like, a fucking secretary?” My temper flared before I could bite it back. Erica wasn’t the only one with a big mouth. I was constantly in danger of writing checks my ass couldn’t cash, the bearer of a lifelong disease of potty mouth that no amount of soap in this world could properly cleanse.”

J.A. Saare
“Whereas I could conform to an emo crowd easily enough, pretending to matriculate from upper crust asshats was too surreal. Goose insisted my stellar attitude and superb language skills had to be put on hold while we were inside the building, which meant to had to keep my big fat cow shut. It was the equivalent of asking a little girl not to scream the first time she was personally introduced to Hannah Montana.”

J.A. Saare
“If her death taught me anything, it’s this. Cherish the time you have. Don’t worry about tomorrow. Right now is all we are promised.”

J.A. Saare
“Allow yourself to fall. I’ll catch you.”

05/10/2011
2.0% "So I just started this book but I have to comment on how much I already LOVE it. Definitely enjoying the author's writing style and her characters!" 1 comment
05/11/2011
35.0% "Loving this book!"
05/12/2011
70.0% "Um, wow. I think Disco may be my new fav book boyfriend. And I'm picturing Chris Hemsworth...swoon"
show 1 hidden update…