Anandh Sundar's Reviews > McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Criminal Underworld

McMafia by Misha Glenny

U_50x66
May 10, 11

Read in May, 2011

I read this book twice-once before my foray into the world of finance and once after(recently). While the difference in the insights/perceptions I got from the book led me to conclude that the author is 'dumbing down' criminal finance,further reflection made me think that this is the greatness of the book-to reveal to both layperson and professionals the havoc that seemingly innocent financial decisions may create.

Specially for those in the finance world, work pressures/lack of professional updation and that rush to seal the deal first, may lead to an attitude of closing deals at any cost without looking at the wider perspective. Certainly for me, this book made me respect those mandatory e-learning programs on money laundering, compliance etc which banks mandate. But more so, it also drove home the realization that even passive assistance makes one as compliant in a criminal act as money does. Stop the flow of money and you stop crime. This theme of the book is globally right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read McMafia.