Reena's Reviews > The Limit

The Limit by Kristen Landon

F 50x66
May 10, 11

Read in May, 2011

When I saw the title of the book, I had a curiosity about the book. What is The Limit? What is The Limit about? Many questions appeared in my mind. Once I started reading the novel, I realized the story is quite different from what I expected.
The concept of The Limit is creative. Every family has a limit of how much money they can spend. If they go over their limits, their kids will be taken away to the workhouse to repay their debts. The main character called Matt is an intelligent and witty kid. After he was sent to the workhouse, he and his friends used their intelligence to reveal the truth of the workhouse.
As a reader, I think there are many interesting and unexpected plots in the story line and I enjoy reading the book. For example, after Matt was sent to the workhouse, he found out that his sister was also in the workhouse by hacking the computer. Later on, Matt escaped from his floor in order to find his sister. This part is very intensive. Since the author wrote many descriptions of Matt's psychological and actions, and used first person narration, which made the character more vivid. As the book indicates, “I hope that didn't mean the door would immediately lock. I didn't hear anything. I race to the door, hoping the system needed to be reset manually and I'd time to get down to the third floor.”(page132). These descriptions make me more integrate into the story.
However, I am a little bit disappointed with the ending. The ending is that Matt found out the truth of the purpose of the workhouse, which is the workhouse is trying to reprogram the kid's brain and make them to pay extra expense. Matt made a flash drive of the evidence, gave it to the girl and asked for her help. The girl sent the flash drive to authorities. The scheme of workhouse was exposed and the kids could go back to their home. I think this ending is too general, and it is the same as what I predicted at the very beginning. If we can get a more surprising ending, I believe that it will be more impressive.
At last, I like the thesis behind the story, that many people are using the “future money”, which means that people are spending more than they earn and put everything on credit. After reading this book, I change my values about financial responsibility. We should keep an eye on our account balance and learn financial management.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Limit.