Lisa Vegan's Reviews > A Butterfly Is Patient

A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts Aston

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: childrens, nature, non-fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Recommended for: butterfly lovers; budding naturalists; those who appreciate beautiful illustrations
Read on July 10, 2011

I loved A Seed Is Sleepy and An Egg Is Quiet and so I was thrilled when I was able to borrow and read this third book.

Oh, I could view this book and its illustrations for ages.

On the inside front cover are the caterpillars and on the inside back cover are the butterflies. Inside the account starts and ends with details of butterflies’ life cycles, and in-between there are a plethora of facts about butterflies. This book uses the same basic format of the first two books. Using the words patient, creative, helpful, protective, poisonous, spectacular, thirsty, big, tiny, scaly, traveler, and magical, and then expounding on those descriptions. There’s also a page on a butterfly is not a moth.

I learned a lot, so much more than I could ever have expected. It turns out that until I read this book I was ignorant of much of this book’s contents. I found the information to be very interesting.

The illustrations are special; they’re truly gorgeous, as they should be in a book about butterflies. I am used to seeing monarchs and I’ve seen quite a few other types of butterflies, but many of the included types were brand new to me. All beautiful, and it’s not just the butterflies, but every leaf and other object in the book is painted beautifully.

This is a gem of a book, and I admired it just as much as the books about seeds and eggs.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Butterfly Is Patient.

message 1: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Sounds fantastic! (plus, I've always been curious about the moth/butterfly thing... :-> )

Lisa Vegan Ann wrote: "Sounds fantastic! (plus, I've always been curious about the moth/butterfly thing... :-> )"

Oh, you should love this! Have you read the seed and the egg book? Those are excellent too.

message 3: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann No, I haven't :( I've been wanting to but for some reason haven't yet... I'll try to remember to put them on hold for the library (provided they have them - fingers crossed!!!)

Lisa Vegan Ann wrote: "No, I haven't :( I've been wanting to but for some reason haven't yet... I'll try to remember to put them on hold for the library (provided they have them - fingers crossed!!!)"

I hope they do, Ann, because they're both gorgeous and educational/interesting.

message 5: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Me, too!!
Actually - I think I'll go check now ;)

message 6: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann They have two - seeds and eggs :D

I guess I'll have to be "patient" for the butterfly book ;->

Lisa Vegan Ha! The butterfly book is brand new. I'll bet they eventually get it.

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Jul 11, 2011 04:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Chandra wrote: "It was called Chickens Aren't the Only Ones. It was pretty cool! "

Oh, yeah; that's one of the few Ruth Heller books I haven't read.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "I'm so glad you were able to lay hands on it at last, Lisa! And yes, it is just so gorgeous - a worthy follow-up. :)"

I actually got it from a sister library. Normally, they wouldn't let it go to San Francisco until 2012. I really lucked out!

Kathryn Ann wrote: "No, I haven't :( I've been wanting to but for some reason haven't yet... I'll try to remember to put them on hold for the library (provided they have them - fingers crossed!!!)"

Did you ever read these, Ann? I think the egg one is the best, if you want to reserve it at the library :-)

Kathryn Chandra wrote: "Incidentally, there was a book on Reading Rainbow (we rent the episodes from Netflix) that featured a book that kind of reminded me of An Egg Is Quiet. It was called Chickens Aren't the Only Ones. It was pretty cool!"

Oh, gosh! I LOVED that episode as a kid. Great book, too :-)

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan For some reason I liked the seed one best but I do think the egg one is probably most appealing to most children.

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "For some reason I liked the seed one best but I do think the egg one is probably most appealing to most children."

The seed one is great, too. Okay, Ann, just get all of them! ;-)

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars