Tammy's Reviews > Married With Zombies

Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen

May 10, 11

Read in May, 2011

I am not, in general, a fan of series. If I had noticed that this book was number 1 in a series, I probably would not have chosen it. But choose it, I did.

It was a fun little romp - a love story woven around the zombie apocalypse that did not shrink from blood, gore, or general ugliness - while still remaining fluffy and light, never really becoming dark despite the subject matter.

I think the problem with a zombie story - and the reason I did not give it more stars - is that zombies don't really have any motivation (aside from the pursuit of brains...) so it is difficult to round them out as antagonists. Every adventure our protagonists engage in feels familiar. The author nods to this, by making our heroes fans of zombie movies - they fully acknowledge similarities - which is fun and sort of meta, but it doesn't change the fact that it's really just a rehash. A fully acknowledged rehash, but a rehash all the same.

The funniest part for me was when they found themselves trapped in a casino with a group of religious fundamentalists and decide that - in this case - the zombies are less scary than the humans. Hehe.

The last chapter is just a set-up for the series, which I've always found to be a cheap tactic.

It was fun - and funny - it passed the time and entertained me, but I didn't find it, at any point, hard to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Married With Zombies.