jxdollarsignha's Reviews > The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad

The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zakaria

3720243
May 16, 11

Read from May 10 to 16, 2011

A very interesting read, especially in the wake of my country's elections, which have only concluded recently. Throughout the book, Zakaria holds up Singapore and Lee Kuan Yew, the strongman who wraught economic success without constitutional liberalism but even so, the tides are changing as we speak. Granted that he wrote this a few years back, but I'd like to hear what Mr Zakaria has to say in lieu of the fact that Mr Lee has just stepped down.

I found the ideas that were discussed in this book very thought-provoking. Indeed, in our thirst for democracy and the heated passions of overthrowing the purported elite in the name of egalitarianism, the public has in fact jeopardized itself by asserting power that it cannot wield effectively.

Zakaria writes effectively and persuasively, with many convincing arguments and examples to back up his point. I particularly enjoyed the review of democracies throughout history since the ancient Greek civilizations - it was enlightening to have some light shed on how church and state were eventually separated in the West.

Once again, though, I'd like to hear from Mr Zakaria his thoughts on the supposed effectiveness of the European Union in the face of so many European states (Spain, Greece, Portugal, Ireland) collapsing left and right with copious amounts of debt. Is undemocratic decision-making without political pressures really the way to go? Perhaps more transparency and openness might have helped to stem the tide against these fiscal disasters.

Whatever the case, I found this a challenging and interesting read and am certainly looking forward to getting my hands on "The Post-American World".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Freedom.