Jennifer Monzon's Reviews > Habanera: A Portrait of a Cuban Family

Habanera by Teresa Dovalpage

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from July 01 to August 01, 2011

I was excited to read this book because it’s part of my heritage and where my entire family including that of my husband is from. I have heard stories about the history and current living conditions and not to mention the politics of Cuba but the way that the author portrayed it gives you a better understanding. It fascinates me how she is able to describe what’s going on in her life and in her surroundings all the while she growing up and going through all these different situations and problems. You feel the heart ache and pain that these people go through on a day to day basis and yet we take it for granted. I visited Cuba about 10 years ago and it was not as bad as it is today. But we do need to realize that no matter how bad we have it, it’s 10x better then their best day in Cuba. Think about that.

This story takes you on a journey of how Longina (the main character), grew up in Cuba in the
late 80’s and early 90’s and how she begins to discover the world around her. The story begins with Longina hanging around in a cemetery in Habana with her grandfather while he plays his instrument. It is here that she also learns of the “La Milagrosa”. It was said to believe that “La Milagrosa, died during child birth and was buried with her child at her feet. Years later, the grave was reopened to find that the child was in the mothers arms. After hearing this story Longina begins to have nightmares about “La Milagrosa” and is now forbidden to go anywhere with her grandfather. Longina’s life seems like anyother girl from any other place. However, things begin to change when the “The Special Period” emerges. During this period, the economy began to deteriorate, food begins to disappear, and blackouts are at a constant. And to make matters worse, Longina’s family is falling apart. Longina’s father Papucho, becomes an alcoholic. Due to her husbands alcoholism, Longina’s mother divorces her father. Longina’s grandmother has left to Miami and Longina thinks she will not return. When Fidel states that Cubans are freed to leave Cuba, Longina is forced to choose whether she should stay or leave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Habanera.