bookczuk's Reviews > The Nymphos of Rocky Flats

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo

May 10, 11

bookshelves: bookcrossing, great-title, vampires-ghosts-and-other-creatures
Read from May 07 to 10, 2011

It was the opening lines that drew me in to reading this: "I don't like what Operation Iraqi Freedom has done to me. I went to the war a soldier; I came back a vampire." That the book didn't live up to my expectations is not the author's fault. I expected a bit more humor a la Carl Haaisen or something. What I got was a decent enough mystery, with a bit of the paranormal thrown in. It is unique if in only that this is probably the only vampire mystery to have been reviewed and declassified by the US Department of Energy.

So basically Felix Gomez, after returning from the war, fresh in his vampireness, becomes a P.I. His current job involves investigating some outbreaks of nymphomania at the US Department of Energy's Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Station in Colorado. Acevedo has given some nice twists to the vampire lore/ability to exist in the modern world. There's a bit of the supernatural, a Latino flare, some paranormal, some UFO/space alien mystery, a touch of area 51, a little romance and, of course a basic Who-dun-it.

Not bad, but as I said, not what I was expecting. I kept reading just to see how the author's mind worked to wrap this up. If another book of his came my way, I figured I'd read it to see how his writing had developed, but I wouldn't necessarily seek him out. However, going to his website (which was kind of interesting in itself, because his other passion is art) I see that he has a book with Felix called Werewolf Smackdown and the blurb says: "Detective-vampire Felix Gomez is trapped between rival werewolf clans in Charleston, SC in a rumble that could doom the supernatural world."

Charleston is a werewolf smackdown? That's mighty hard to resist.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nymphos of Rocky Flats.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Great review. Sounds like a book that while I may not find a great read I would enjoy it as a audio book. I save books I want to keep details on for regular reading and listen to the others. Love the last bit. Lol!

bookczuk Nancy wrote: "Great review. Sounds like a book that while I may not find a great read I would enjoy it as a audio book. "

Easy enough for me to pop this copy in the mail to you, since I promised you a book when I snookered you for your address to send the pysanky. :)

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Lol! Sure. <3