Shoma Patnaik's Reviews > Duma Key

Duma Key by Stephen King

May 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, supernatural, art, mystery, not-owned
Read from May 10 to 13, 2011

This is possibly the first book I've read by Stephen King. I might have tried reading something else by him in school but I don't think I ever finished another book. I decided to read this one after one of the questions on the Never-Ending Trivia Quiz on this site quoted one of the lines in the book and it intrigued me enough to want to take a look for myself.

The book is longer than I expected but King does a good job of ensuring that it doesn't drag. I found the language a little gimmicky at first but some of the lines are certainly catchy - maybe sí, maybe no. There's also a surprising poetry in King's language, when he talks of art and amnesia. What I liked best were the relationships between the characters on the island - Edgar, Wireman and Elizabeth, and later Edgar, Wireman and Jack. I thought Wireman's back story and his insistence on speaking like a token Hispanic character in a badly written soap was a weak point but he is a well-drawn character and by the end of the book I rather grew to like him. While Edgar is an equally interesting character, it is Wireman who's really the star of the show, and he gets many of the best lines. The supernatural part of the novel itself is certainly eerie, at least when King allows it to be subtle instead of defining it and making it another monster story, which he does sometimes. Finally, the ending was engaging as the rest of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duma Key.