Michelle 's Reviews > We'll Always Have Summer

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han

May 10, 11

Read in May, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I was so looking forward to reading this book. I was so excited when it finally arrived in the mail yesterday. Now I feel more than a little disappointed........ Yes, it's awesome that Belly picked Conrad - I would have been totally devastated if she'd pick Jeremiah, BUT:

After reading the first two books I always felt that there wasn't enough Belly and Conrad time. I thought that I'd finally get it with the third book. How wrong I was. I feel so cheated. I mean Belly and Conrad didn't even kiss in this book!! Yes, I'm really glad she picked Conrad but that wasn't enough. In all the three books there wasn't enough interaction between Belly and Conrad. And when they did interact they nearly always ended up fighting. After reading the first two books I thought for sure that the third book would focus on Belly and Conrad. Especially when they ended up at the beach house together - it would have been the perfect opportunity for them to sort everything out between them....... then the rest of the book could have concentrated on them, their relationship and how they ended up where they did five years later.......

Which brings me to the time line of these books. At the very end of INSWY, the scene with Belly running to the car in her wedding dress, it states that it's A Couple of Years Later. How can that be? Two years later Belly was turning 19, when her and Con get married she's almost 24! And then at the end of WAHS when we read the wedding scene again, it again says A Couple of Years Later. That means Belly has gone from being almost 19 to being almost 24 in just two years! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

And what was with Belly agreeing to marry Jeremiah? Did I miss something? She went from breaking up with him to agreeing to marry him. When everyone kept telling her to call it off and she kept refusing I got the feeling that she was just going ahead with it because she didn't want to admit that she was making a mistake. And then Con told her he loved her and she still wanted to go ahead with it! It was like she was trying to prove something, like she was trying to get back at him for rejecting her in the past. What's the saying? To cut off your nose to spite your face. Besides, I thought both Belly and Jeremiah were way too young to get married, and a little immature, especially Jeremiah who was more interested in mucking around with his buddies. Which I can totally understand - I wasn't ready to be married when I was 19 either. (And just for the record, I don't think what Jere did in Cabo was that big a deal, I mean they were broken up for God's sake! Yeah, it would have been upsetting but technically he didn't cheat on her).

As for Jeremiah, although I always wanted Belly to pick Con I always liked Jeremiah, he was a very likable character in the other books but all of a sudden he turned into a bit of a jerk in the third one......

When Conrad told Belly he loved her on the beach and she just threw it back in his face I couldn't believe it! I wanted her to tell him that she still loved him too. Instead she totally rejected him. How could she do that? I felt so bad for him. I know that he hurt her in the past but he was going through so much with his mum at the time. And what about her? The way she behaved after the funeral was appalling but Conrad forgave her. Poor Con, he was finally telling her how he felt and she basically told him that what they'd had meant nothing.

I must say I was glad Belly finally grew up a bit in the last book but not as much as I would have liked. She was such a brat in the first two books, especially the second one.

It's weird but after three books we never actually got to see Belly and Conrad in a relationship in "real time". When they went out previously it was always shown to us in flashbacks..... and when they get married it's a couple of flash forwards!

Things I loved about the book? Belly marrying Conrad, finally getting Conrad's POV, the whole scene where Conrad tells Belly that he still loves her - it was heart wrenching but what he said was so beautiful and it made me understand him so much better, and the ending - I loved it, it made me cry........
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We'll Always Have Summer.

Quotes Michelle Liked

Jenny Han
“I love Jere more than anybody. He’s my brother, my family. I hate myself for doing this. But when I see you two together, I hate him too.” His voice broke.
“Don’t marry him. Don’t be with him. Be with me.”
tags: love

Jenny Han
“I laid myself fucking bare last night! I put it all out there, and you shut me down. Rightfully so. I get that I shouldn’t have said any of that stuff to you. But now here I am trying to find a way to come out of this with just a little fragment of pride so I can look you in the eye when this is all over, and you won’t even let me have that. You broke my heart last night, all right? Is that what you want to hear?”

Jenny Han
“I’m sorry for screwing everything up. I hurt you again, and for that I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I don’t want to do that anymore. So … I’m not going to stay
for the wedding. I’m just going to take off now. I won’t see you again, not for a long time. Probably for the best. Being near you like this, it hurts. And
Jere”—Conrad cleared his throat and stepped backward, making space between us—“he’s the one who needs you.”
Hoarsely, he said, “I need you to know that no matter what happens, it was worth it to me. Being with you, loving you. It was all worth it”

Jenny Han
“The promises you make on your mother’s deathbed are promises that are absolute; they’re titanium. There’s no way you’re breaking them. I promised my mother that I would take care of my brother. That I would look after him. I kept my word. I did it the best way I could. By leaving.”

Jenny Han
“He came up and kissed me on my forehead, and before he stepped away, I closed my eyes and tried hard to memorize this moment. I wanted to remember him exactly as he was right then, how his arms looked brown against his white shirt, the way his hair was cut a little too short in the front. Even the bruise, there because of me.

Then he was gone.

Just for that moment, the thought that I might never see him again… it felt worse than death. I wanted to
run after him. Tell him anything, everything. Just don’t go. Please just never go. Please just always be near me, so I can at least see you.

Because it felt final. I always believed that we would find our way back to each other every time. That no matter what, we would be connected—by our history, by this house. But this time, this last time, it felt final. Like I would never see him again, or that when I did, it would be different, there would be a mountain between us.

I knew it in my bones. That this time was it. I had finally made my choice, and so had he. He let me go. I was relieved, which I expected. What I didn’t expect was to feel so much grief.

Bye bye, Birdie.

Jenny Han
“I might have been a fuckup and a failure and a disappointment, but I wasn’t a liar.
I did lie to Belly, though. Just that one time in that crappy motel. I did it to protect her. That’s what I kept telling myself. Still, if there was one moment in my life I could redo, one moment out of all the shitty moments, that was the one I’d pick. When I thought back to the look on her face—the way it just crumpled, how she’d sucked in her lips and wrinkled her nose to keep the hurt from showing—it killed me. God, if I could, I’d go back to that moment and say all the right things, I’d tell her I loved her, I’d make it so that she never look that way again.”

Jenny Han
“Do you remember infinity?”
Slowly, I turned around. “What about it?”
Tossing something toward me, he said, “Catch.”
I reached out and caught it in the air. A silver necklace. I held it up and examined it. The infinity necklace.
It didn’t shine the way it used to; it looked a bit coppery now. But I recognized it. Of course I recognized it.
“What is this?” I asked.
“You know what it is,” he said.
I shrugged. “Nope, sorry.”
I could see that he was both hurt and angry. “Okay, then. You don’t remember it. I’ll remind you. I bought
you that necklace for your birthday.”
My birthday.
It had to have been for my sixteenth birthday. It was the only year he ever forgot to buy me a birthday
present—the last summer we’d all been together at the beach house, when Susannah was still alive.”

Jenny Han
“I knew I had to be careful. I had to keep my distance. If she knew how much I still cared, it was all over. I wouldn’t be able to walk away again. The first time was hard enough.”

Jenny Han
“I spun away from him. I didn’t need his pity.
I started walking in the opposite direction of the house. I didn’t know where I was going, I just wanted to get away from him.
He called out, “I still love you.”
I froze. And then slowly,
I turned around to look at him. “Don’t say that”

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

ALPHAreader Agree, 100&!

"In all the three books there wasn't enough interaction between Belly and Conrad."

That's why I think Han did a total wipe-out of Jeremiah's character. I think she wanted to pave the way for Belly and Conrad (without a sliver of doubt in any reader's mind who Belly should end up with) so she took Jeremiah out of the running by turning him into a demented frat-boy. Urgh.

The 'couple of years' thing is true! I didn't even notice that! I guess Han (and her editor?) don't realize that 'a couple' is literally 2 (maybe they meant to say 'a handful'? lol)

Michelle Yeah, I think there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way we do....... So disappointing that after all that waiting we still didn't get the Belly and Con time we were waiting for :(