Robert's Reviews > The Seasons of the Robin

The Seasons of the Robin by Don Grussing

Mar 17, 13

bookshelves: 2011
Read in May, 2011

This was a charming book and (almost) part of my 2011 summer of reading nature books. It follows a single robin through his first five seasons, a natural history in narrative form.

At times it left me a bit unengaged, and I was hungry to know which things were completely typical and which were things that happened to just this bird in particular. But I enjoyed it, although only a few bits linger with me now. Here's an interesting quote:

"As the flock climbed, he found it easy to maintain his place with the other birds. One aid to staying with the flock was wing noise. A couple of times he drifted off to one side, but he could easily detect that he was getting away from the other robins because the sound and feel of their wing beats became less intense. Robins fly with deep, powerful strokes, but the beats of their wings are not constant--that is, there is a delay in their wing beats, which permits them to hear the sounds of the other birds in the flock while migrating and thus helps them maintain their place with the other birds"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seasons of the Robin.