Cathy 's Reviews > Fuzzy Nation

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

May 28, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, science-fiction, dogs
Read from May 27 to 28, 2011

I was thoroughly skeptical. I'm a big fan of the original Little Fuzzy, having first read it as a teenager and many times since. In fact, it was one of the first books I tried as an ebook when I got my iphone, so I was aware that it was out of copyright. So when I saw that Scalzi had written this book, a "reboot" of the original, I just didn't get it. Sure, the original was kind of old fashioned, but it was still cute and the environmental and moral themes were still just as valid. What the heck was a reboot and what was the point?

Well, I guess I was wrong, because I really enjoyed this book. I read a few of Scalzi's interviews about the book, and I think I understand a bit better now. He's just a huge fan. He was at a low point in his writing, feeling uninspired and out of sorts, and he wanted to do something just for fun, so he wrote this, basically as a piece of fan fiction. Kind of like people write Star Trek books (which I enjoy) or the way movies keep getting remade with updated casts and technology.

This is a bit of a combination of those ideas. It's not exactly the original story, in fact pretty much the only character who remains the same is the main character, Jack, and even he's petty different in appearance and personality than the original Jack. The fuzzles are somewhat different as well, with much less direct interaction with the other characters until the end of the book, making them much less of a fun feature in this book and my only real disappointment. But somehow the overall structure of the book, the scaffolding, is the same, and it's very fun and very effective. The book is a David a Goliath story, Jack vs. the company, that unfolds on several levels, and Scalzi plays it out like a master. Somehow the simple and straightforward storytelling, very much reminiscent of Piper's original style, turns into a masterful courtroom coupe de grace that I think would have made Piper proud.It had a lovely old-fashioned charm that felt timeless. His Jack may not be such a nice guy, but he's the guy the fuzzies need. I was entertained from beginning to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fuzzy Nation.

05/26/2011 page 1
0.0% "Still don't understand the reboot concept, I loved the originals so much. But willing to try it."
05/26/2011 page 66
22.0% "Carl and Little Fuzzy are in cahoots already."
05/27/2011 page 81
27.0% "Sucker! Pitiful big eyes win every time."
05/27/2011 page 111
37.0% "I'm pretty sure this is the 1st time I've read a Fuzzy book since I got a 2nd dog. Comparing the interactions is interesting. And my motivations. How much goes back to childhood reading?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cathy I don't understand yet what a "reboot" of the classic books is. I've read the originals at least 10 times each and still love them. I hope this keeps the charm but just updates the tech to make it more relevant for current readers.