Brenda's Reviews > Down a Lost Road

Down a Lost Road by J. Leigh Bralick

May 11, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 09 to 11, 2011, read count: 1

This book made me really rethink what a forest can be. That's my favorite part of the book actually. I liked the idea of the clinging grasses too.

I was fascinated by the idea of trees forming a dwelling. It left me wondering how long it took to grow and if the current inhabitant was the one who grew it. I was also curious to know if it was a common practice there.

What made this difficult for me to read was my inability to connect to the protagonist. Merelin has older siblings and a twin brother. I'm the firstborn and have one younger sister. Her interactions with her family felt foreign to me as a result. When I was the heroine's age I was also very different personality-wise. Most of the things she does wouldn't have crossed my mind. This I could have overlooked easily if there had been a character I could empathize with that stuck around.

The brethren reminded me a lot of angels. Too much for my taste as I am not a very fond of the religion. However, if you have the opposite view of it than I do you might like this a lot better than I did.

Something that left me unsatisfied:

(view spoiler)

I won't re-read the book but I really want to read the next one! From the preview I think I'll like it much better. While this one isn't one of my favorites I certainly feel the sequel might be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down a Lost Road.