Ruth's Reviews > The Harlot

The Harlot by Saskia Walker

One word... Wow! If you want a lot of steam (I'm thinkin' twenty-minute-sauna-110F-at-least steam here), with a bit of (accurate) historical stuff, and a decent plot thrown in, then this book is for you!

It was my first book by Saskia Walker (received through netgalley), and it certainly won't be my last.

On the face of it, it had loads of things which I wouldn't normally like (m-m and f-f action, moderately-repentent prostitute as heroine), but it was just so well-written, steamy but not cheesy or offensive, with enough historical details to really make you feel the credibility without detracting from a solid plot, that I just didn't have the I'm-starting-to-feel-this-is-creepy feeling I would have expected.

What did I like..

- The steam - Goodness me, is this book steamy or what? Not icky, silly steam either, but fluid (oh dear, did I really say that?) and credible. In a couple of places, I did start to wander where the smutty bits were going, and whether they really helped the plot at all, but just when I got to thinking that, the author moved on to a different part of the plot or character development, so it wasn't overwhelming.

- The hero and heroine - I'm not sure I actually "liked" them, but they fit the story perfectly, and their romance was pretty good.

- The setting - Scotland straight after the union with England, at a time when witches were still hunted in rural areas. It was just done incredibly well. I really can't visualise this story working quite so well in any other era.

What I didn't like so much..

- Some of the steamy bits didn't seem to add much to the story, to be honest. But, really, this is erotica, what did I expect?

So, 4 stars. Great kindle smut. Loved it, and I'm now going to check out the author's other work...
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Harlot.

message 1: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Great review! Had me lol-ing :-)

Ruth Thanks Juliana!

It was a surprise to me how much I enjoyed it really. I'm not massively into really raunchy, sex-on-every-page type books, but this one was good, and with the added bonus of no grammatical errors and decent historical "stuff".

OMG. I just realised I've commented on the fine grammar in this one??!

message 3: by Tammy (last edited May 11, 2011 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tammy Walton Grant Got me curious, Ruth, so I went to amazon, and it's NOT OUT YET! Dammit, on to the tbr. Great review, :)

Where do you find these books?

Ruth Netgalley. I finally got my act together, wrote a decent bio and put my goodreads link on it, and actually received all the books I requested!

I've got business trips this week and next so the timing couldn't be better, although I'm not sure I'd want to read this one with someone looking over my shoulder...

Tammy Walton Grant Cool! Your page is where I go to find the most interesting new books. :)

Have a great trip - still househunting?

Ruth Well, we've had an offer accepted and we're negotiating over getting the inspection items fixed now. This is as far as we got with Number 1, so we're hopeful.

Tammy Walton Grant *fingers crossed*

Ruth Fingers, toes and everything in between!!

Tammy Walton Grant LOL! Done. Hope this works, it could get uncomfortable. :D

Oh! Just thought of this - does netgalley work on your kindle?

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth Oooh yes!! It works INCREDIBLY well on my kindle!!

Tammy Walton Grant Uh-oh. I just got one on Monday, and my latest thing is downloading samples to read (what an absolute kick that is!!)

Something like Netgalley might just push me over the edge, lol.