Claudia's Reviews > Something Wicked This Way Comes

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

May 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-challenge-150-books, classics-i-should-have-read-years-b, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from May 09 to 17, 2011

I love returning to favorite authors and remembering what it is I love about them. Bradbury writes thoughtful sci-fi, beautiful nostalgic novels, and, boy can he do horror! Much of this book reminds me of one of my favorites, Dandelion Wine...that lovely small-town setting, idealized boys who run and play all day...but add to this a creepy carnival and a true battle of good versus evil.

The writing is delicious...I put lots of stickies in Brent's book. I think I'll leave them there for him. Will and Jim are wonderful wild boys who are so excited about the carnival that comes to town, but when they watch the carousel go backwards, and the rider age in reverse, and then go forwards, with the rider aging nearly to death, they know 'something wicked this way comes.' Will's father, the library janitor, joins the boys in their epic struggle to save themselves, their town, and maybe the world from unspeakable evil. At the end I could hardly read fast enough, the suspense was crushing me.

Bradbury's descriptions of the small town Will and Jim live in reminds me of Indiana and Illinois -- that lovely midwest world where good is always supposed to prevail. I mustn't wait so long to read another of his novels...I lingered over the language, and rushed through the excitement.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Wicked This Way Comes.

05/09/2011 page 129