Audrey's Reviews > Dust and Decay

Dust and Decay by Jonathan Maberry

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, 2011_publish, zombie, arc
Read from August 14 to 24, 2011

It’s been six months since Benny Imura first set foot into the Rot and Ruin, and all that time Benny’s brother Tom has been training Benny and his friends. Together, they plan to leave the safety of their town and travel across zombie-infested country on a scouting mission. However, there are larger forces at work out in the Rot and Ruin–forces that want all of them dead. What’s most frightening about the Rot and Ruin is that the scariest thing out there isn’t the zombies, it’s the living.

This follow up novel to Rot & Ruin is as good, if not better, than the first of the series. Benny’s a much more mature character at this point, so it’s easier to read along with him and root for him in dire situations. We also get to experience more interaction with Lilah, the Lost Girl, and with Benny’s friend Chong. Benny and Nix add depth to their relationship, as do Benny and Tom. All in all, we’re seeing growth of characters we already care about, and are introduced to new compelling players in the story.

Speaking of new characters, there are many more cameos by the mercenaries featured on the zombie cards of the first book. The inclusion of these characters added another dimension to the novel, and I loved seeing them in action.

Tom Imura really shines in this novel. If you thought he was good in the first book, in this book he’s practically a justice-serving god. He’s an amazing fighter, but also has a real depth of feeling for his brother and for humanity in general. I had a total character crush on Tom, and would want him on my side, zombie apocalypse or not.

Dust & Decay is absolutely action-packed, and keeps you guessing. I lost plenty of naptime on the train because I just had to keep reading. Maberry’s mastered the art of cliffhanger chapters, and rocks at action sequences. I think this series also allows him to show off his skill at writing emotion and pathos. I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book in the series, and if you read this book, you will be too.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust and Decay.

08/15/2011 page 19