Stephanie's Reviews > Magnificent Obsession

Magnificent Obsession by Lloyd C. Douglas

May 13, 11

I had to speed race to get this book read in time for book club last night. I think reading it so quickly served me well. There are a LOT of characters that weave in and out of the story as the book spans many years of time. I REALLY enjoyed the whole idea of this book. The plot being that a man dies at the exact same moment that another man's life is saved at his expense. The 'saved' man then spends the rest of his life trying to make of himself anything close to what the deceiced man's life was. Trying to fill his shoes in a very intriguing way.

I think this book was stronger, more captivating, in the first half and then it sort of shifted to a more romantic slant toward the end. It read very much like an old black and white movie. I could picture each scene vividly as I read. I enjoy books that paint such a definite picture, even down to the nuances of the characters. It had a very fulfilling climax and wasn't too overly sentimental.

I did think the author could have done a bit more with a few of the underlying elements of the story. I would have been more satisifeid in some instances. But over all, I think Douglas really got his point across in a very effective way. It was worth the two or three nights of staying up late to read it:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magnificent Obsession.