Julie's Reviews > Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

May 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, from-library, short-stories, science-fiction, young-adult
Recommended for: people who like really dark stories
Read from May 07 to 09, 2011, read count: 1

This was so, so not a Julie book. I knew going in that zombies weren't my favorite subject matter, but I am a unicorn fan, and most of the stories were written by authors I'd read before and in some cases, have a great respect for.

So imagine my surprise when the anthology featured: one zombie story that was so gross that I couldn't even read the rest of it; a rambling unicorn story involving bestiality; a story about a thinly-veiled actress and her tribe of (drooling, undead) adopted children; and a story about a suicidal serial-killing unicorn. Seriously. Unicorn. Serial. Killer.

There were a couple of stories I didn't mind, like Carrie Ryan's "Bougainvillea" (ironic since I really, really did not like her zombie book, The Forest of Hands and Teeth). I also didn't mind Cassandra Clare's "Cold Hands."

Diana Peterfreund's story made a lot more sense being that I'd read Rampant, and I probably enjoyed it more than someone who hadn't read the other book first. (That reminds me: I have to read Ascendant!)

I was sad to find that Scott Westerfeld's "Inoculata" was no more than a giant "MEH" for me... he is one of my favorite authors!

The one story I really, truly enjoyed was "Princess Prettypants" by Meg Cabot, which made me laugh out loud repeatedly. I guess that one was just more my speed, instead of the dark, dark, darrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk stories in the rest of the book.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will love it (or already do), but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Vs. Unicorns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Thank you for this review! I will never pick this up now--thanks for saving me the time. it does not sound like a Crystal book either. :)

Julie Happy to be of service. :)

Kellyflower Julie, there were so many people that loved this book. I really really hated the story Love Will Tear Us Apart. It set the tone for the book which may have been why I read the rest of the stories in it with that "bad taste" in my mouth. This book deserved your two star rating.

Julie I agree - that was the story that I couldn't even finish because it was so gross.