Jessy Nelson's Reviews > My Fair Captain

My Fair Captain by J.L. Langley

May 09, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own, lgbt, adult-romance, alternative-history
Read in May, 2011

When it comes to romance books, I am always rather leary. Having been exposed to more than my fair share of Harlaquin Romance novels growing up, I find myself always expecting overly flowery language and narration similiar to what Allison Janney's character composes Ten Thing I Hate About You. Things such as "Regenald's quivering member" and the like.

Thankfully, the language and word-choice found here doesn't make you want to throw up in your mouth a little. Langley doesn't shy away from words like "cock" and "prick". She writes sex and she doesn't try and sugar coat it as anything but what it is: sex. She writes it dirty and hard and filthy. Its very realistic and I approve.

I truly enjoyed the world created here. The planet of Regelence is modelled after Regency England, but with modern technology. The characters use things similiar to iPads (electronic sketchpads have a particular focus) and locking mechanisms are locked and unlocked via thumbprints, the butler is a computer with a fair bit of personality. It creates an interesting over-lay; on one hand, the characters are dressed in waistcoasts and ascots and there are frequent balls, and on the other, those that are underage are chaperoened by computer surveilence.

Oh, and then there's that thing where Regelence's society is almost completely homosexual. Yes, male/female couples exist, but the nobility consists of Lords and their male consorts, their children created through artificial means. I, personally, found it fascinating. Not only is it a wonderful, creative, original idea, but its actually exacuted extremely well, which surprised me.

Furthermore, the characters weren't flat and uninteresting. Prince Aiden isn't a submissive and helpless figure clearly standing in for a female (which is what I usually encounter with male/male romance stories written by women); in fact, he rescues his damn self and punches someone in the nose while he does it. And, while the attraction between Aiden and Nate is originally based on mutual physical desire, they actually get to know one another (okay, so its a few short conversations largely based around art, but its more than I expected).

The background characters are well-rounded (I especially like Nate's son Trouble and the computer-butler Jeffers) and have personality. The mystery plot is interesting and keeps you guessing (in fact, I've read the second book in the series and am still at a loss as to what is actually happening there).

All and all? A VERY good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Fair Captain.