Sandra's Reviews > Loud in the House of Myself: Memoir of a Strange Girl

Loud in the House of Myself by Stacy Pershall

F 50x66
May 09, 11

Read in December, 2010

Not too happy with the writing here. I was expecting to be blown away, but we start and stop many times. she does little to follow through with how her family reacted to her. Again I was wondering how much of this was true--lots of logical fault lines. I would love to see better writing for young women with bi-polar, borderline personality. I was hoping for more of how tattoo and DBT have brought her peace. there was very cursory treatment of treatment. Maybe she didn't want to overstep her bounds. Engaging read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loud in the House of Myself.

Tiffany There are some contradictions in your review. How is it an "engaging read" when you found the writing to be below your expectations?

message 2: by Stacy (last edited Aug 06, 2011 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacy Pershall Thank you for your review! I'm sorry the writing didn't work for you. It's absolutely all true; I care way too much about my readers to ever lie to them (though I did change names and identifying characteristics, and out of respect for my parents' wishes, I largely left them out of it.) However, I've realized there are some glitches in the timeline that came from the editing process. My fault for not reading the copyedits more carefully; after you spend nine years writing a thing and the pieces get moved around a million times, it can be hard to see it clearly! Now that I've spent six months reading it aloud, I can see them, and they'll be fixed for the paperback.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that young women with mental illness need good books. Have you read Kiera Van Gelder's "The Buddha and the Borderline," or Lisa Johnson's "Girl in Need of a Tourniquet," or Marya Hornbacher's memoirs? Maybe one of those will speak to you more than mine did. Better yet, write one of your own! The more of our voices are in print, the better. Keep fighting the fight, and keep trying to make the world a better place for the strange girls. I appreciate it.