Kim's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: paranormal, favourites, angels
Read from August 10 to 12, 2011

Angels, fallen angels and secret powers. A fantastic book about questioning your role in life and whether you can change your destiny. In Clara's world, Nephilim - those with angel-blood - have a specific purpose in life shown them through visions. But Clara's vision turns out to be more complicated that she could ever possibly imagine.

I've read a lot of angel and part-angel books in the last year and when I read a new one I'm always wondering how different they'll be. I love that 'Unearthly' was definitely a different perspective on an angel-theme. In the past, all stories I've read involving Nephilim emphasise the human aspects of the characters, they'll have extra strength and longer lives but still be human. 'Unearthly' shows the life of part-angels that still resemble angels: wing, powers, a connection to God. It was a nice change to the typical angel books around.

What I'm most curious about is the angel side of the story. Not just because it's different, but there seems to be so much we're missing. Jackson Hole, our story's setting, seems to be hiding more than just beautiful mountain ranges and secret places to learn fishing. There's a lot more angel involvement in the area than Clara (and I'm guessing most readers) thought there was before.

I felt bad for Clara quite a bit of the time. She'd been kept in the dark about her angel heritage for so long, and still when she was working towards her Purpose her mum held back so much information. Not just about the Purpose itself, but about angels, Black Wings, Glory. I can't help wondering how the whole moving to Wyoming and Purpose thing would have gone down if Clara knew more about being an angel. I also got pretty angry at her mum for not letting Clara love who she wants to. While they say you can't fight destiny (or purpose); you can't fight love either.

I like that, for Clara, love is not instantaneous. I feel that her obsession with Christian was partially because of her Purpose, a vision telling her that she feels connected to him. I'm sort of glad she found herself leaning away from that fall-over-yourself-obsession with Christian. I found myself developing quite an obsession with Tucker though. There's something about the Cowboy that made me smile every time he was on the page. Perhaps it was his gentleman personality, or the way he coached Clara through skiing, fishing and hiking lessons; he was so sweet, I adore him. I hope we see more of Tucker in the next book and that he doesn't wind up hurt because of angel rules and history.

4.5/5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

08/10/2011 page 66
08/11/2011 page 270
62.0% "I wonder if Clara's purpose will ever make sense in this book..."
08/11/2011 page 359
83.0% "Oh no...something going to happen to screw this up :(" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel Kim, I've just started Unearthly. I must know though in advance though, is it a Christian or Tucker story?! You know what I mean, right? >.<

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Sorry, Rachel. I tried to reply to you on twitter earlier today, but it was being the biggest pest in the world.

It's a both story. Which kills me because I'm 100% Team Tucker and Clara just can't seem to make up her mind.

Rachel 3/4 into the book now, and while I agree it's a both story, isn't it really a Tucker thing? haha. I'm also 100% Team Tucker. For now, at least. Christian is still an enigma to me.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim See, book #2 made SO many people change sides. People flipped - I didn't. I'm always going to be Team Tucker, but, Christian's not out of the game yet.

Rachel AH, can't wait!! Haha