stormhawk's Reviews > Fever Dream: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery

Fever Dream by Dennis Palumbo

2016887
May 18, 11

bookshelves: kindle, pre-publication-galley
Recommended to stormhawk by: netgalley.com
Read from May 09 to 18, 2011

I really liked his first book. I liked this one too, and would give it 3-1/2 stars, if I could.

Dr. Daniel Rinaldi has got to be the unluckiest trauma specialist in all of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Not long ago, one of his patients was killed.

Now he's in the middle of a bank holdup, a hostage situation, shootings, and a hanging.

But he does get to listen to really cool jazz, which makes up for a lot of the other stuff.

The writing is engaging, descriptive, and really well done.

There's a plot hitch or two, I'm guessing some things needed to be glossed through for space or time considerations, but as an avid reader and watcher of mysteries, there is an expectation that if something big happens, the local police would like at least a courtesy call. And maybe gather some evidence or ask some questions. Especially when there's a four hour drive between jurisdictions.

But, and you knew there was another but coming … the most mysterious thing about this particular mystery is the ending. There is a lot that gets explained at the end, which, yes, is important in a mystery, but what's explained to the reader should be the putting together of the clues that were exposed throughout the course of the story. What we get is not a wrap up, but the telling of a whole new story. And something that seems physiologically improbable.

And to keep in line with a comment on my previous review … although things could be different on the left-hand side where Mr. Palumbo grew up … we don't call it “Interstate 76.” It's the PA Turnpike. With the Pee and the Ay both pronounced. Many of our roads have names, often names that don't appear on the maps … like the Blue Route.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Dream.

05/09/2011