Derek Oberg's Reviews > If You Ask Me

If You Ask Me by Betty White

May 09, 2011

Read on May 09, 2011

My God, I love Betty White.

I already finished one book today, cracked into this one and found that I could not go to bed until I finished it.

Not so much a memoir (she's already written 5 of those), but more like little topics that she reviews. She's adorable.

A couple of things made me sad. A) In talking about age and how it shouldn't bother you, she says that Estelle Getty was TERRIFIED of getting old and sick, to the point that the writers of Golden Girls had to be careful of the kind of jokes they wrote for her (heartbreaking since she was the first to die, and suffered in a bed for something like 7 years before going). B) Also on the topic of age, saying that she always assumed she'd be the FIRST of the Golden Girls to go because she's the oldest, and now she's the last left standing. And C) Always the consumate animal lover, she says that she now only owns one dog. Why? Because she's 89 years old, and has officially out-lived her last puppy. *lump in throat*

When Rue McClannahan died The Stranger reported on it with a remark at the end that I have not forgotten. To paraphrase it... "Take care of your precious self, Betty White. We're not ready yet to live in a world entirely devoid of Golden Girls."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Ask Me.

03/10/2016 marked as: read

Phoenix Robles Great review. Thanks ;-) can't wait to read it *..