Tiara's Reviews > Batman: Knightfall

Batman by Dennis O'Neil

May 09, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: comic-novelization, dc-comics, comics
Recommended to Tiara by: Wendy B.
Read from May 15 to June 07, 2011

Thanks for the rec, Wendy B. You can tell that O'Neil is more of a comics writer than a novelist. Interesting story that seemed to read in the more straightforward manner of a comic than a novel. There was too much telling and not enough showing. Batman came off way more condescending than I typically think of him as, and I don't know how everyone in Gotham didn't know his identity. He should've just been handing out cards and introducin himself as Bruce Wayne. Early tensing problems made it a little hard to get into at first, but once that was corrected, things got better. Fun story all the the same. Can't wait to dive over in the comics for this arm. This makes me want to go back and read Stern's Superman book to see how it stands the test of time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

05/16/2011 page 4
1.0% "There are moments when he feels he wraps this sprawling, hideous metropolis around himself like a second cloak, and he knows he could never have become what he is anywhere else."
05/16/2011 page 30
9.0% "Interesting so far, but O'Neil's inconsistent tenses are bugging the hell out of me. I'm mentally editing as I'm reading. It's sort of distracting me." 2 comments
05/19/2011 page 40
11.0% "Tenses have gotten better and are consistent now. Can pay more attention to the storyline." 2 comments
05/21/2011 page 54
15.0% "Reading during the trip we're taking. GCPD is very stupid. I don't think I like seeing them written like complete morons. I've never thought of them as stupid, just limited to what they could do (for those of them who aren't corrupt)."
05/21/2011 page 54
15.0% "Continued on from last update. And there seems to be this underlying haughtiness that Batman can do what they can't that I don't think is true of Batman... at least he seems more to understand their limitations in the comics where here he seems to be gloating at them."
05/21/2011 page 140
40.0% "Bane is ridiculous. Says he wants a foe worthy of challenging, someone who will really challenge him, and then uses cheap tricks to wear them down."
05/22/2011 page 175
50.0% "LOL. Okay, who isn't going to find out who Batman is either because he told them or through the power of sheer stupidity. Why doesn't he just hand out cards?"
02/09/2016 marked as: read

Wendy lol thanks for sticking it out. I am tempted to reread it now, but I'm sure the reason I like it so much is because of the parts of the whole, if not the whole itself. It was interesting that they removed Catwoman etc from the story. I'd also like to compare it to the comics it was based on.

Tiara Wendyb wrote: "lol thanks for sticking it out. I am tempted to reread it now, but I'm sure the reason I like it so much is because of the parts of the whole, if not the whole itself. It was interesting that they ..."

It wasn't bad, though! I only would've put it down had it just been terrible, but it wasn't. It was okay, a fun read. Parts of it were really awesome. I really liked the Doctor.