Kate's Reviews > Daytripper

Daytripper by Fábio Moon

May 12, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, brazil
Read in May, 2011

This graphic novel flits through significant moments in the life of Brás de Oliva Domingos, obituary writer, aspiring novelist, and dreamer.

Think about all the times in your life where you could've been killed, snuffed out, disappeared, or extinguished. How quickly could it happen? How would it change the lives of those close to you? What would it feel like? The main character Brás explores these moments as he recounts his life. These moments are illustrated adeptly, with flowing lines, rich colors, and a depth that makes each vignettes equally profound. It makes Brazil look soft, hard, magical, poor, and dangerously wonderful. Sure, this book is about death but I did not find it to be depressing. Nor were there cliches about death. There are some cliches about living live as Brás struggles with writing and family.

The vignettes are non-linear in time. The secondary characters weave in-and-out of Brás' memories. Each situation is another glimpse at them, a chance to learn more about them. I liked that. It's a treat for the reader. I was recently reading about the authors and I found out they are twins. I find that fascinating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daytripper.