Beth's Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ya-fiction
Read in May, 2011

Well thought out re-telling of the 12 Dancing Princess. Imagine Little Women, if the 4 girls had 8 little sisters, a dead mother and a distant gieving King for a father, and imagine the story set in a small psuedo European country that had a hidden magical past. There are two minor love stories told along side the main love story, that were both pretty sweet. A good read for historical romance lovers who don't mind a light dusting of magic.

Might have given it 4 stars ...maybe 3.5?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Miner Litton You know whenever someone in a YA book is described as "handsome," he's the romantic lead. Here, three guys and the villain were "handsome," so who is our romantic lead? Silly me, they were all going to get a sister, and the villain was going to be sexy-dangerous. I should have guessed sooner.

Beth Yeah, I should give her kudos for doing a multiple strand love story since few teen fiction books do that these days. The stuffy prime minister was my secret favorite, but I was still surprised by his happy ending!

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Miner Litton I was rooting for him too, but I knew when Bradford came in looking mussy-but-handsome that he was the lead.
I really liked this book despite the fact that it was really silly at points. Like the ending. It felt like she'd written herself into a corner and so she just fixed it with unexplained, cheesy magic.

Beth Well, it's sorta a stereotypical for a girly book, but she spends more time on the romance than on the action. And the magical threat is part of the action that isn't well thought out. But this is totally such a girl book that I don't think the target audience will mind.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Miner Litton Agreed. Good girly fun to be had by all. Vaguely "strong" female protagonist who isn't too strong to be rescued by handsome military men in shirtsleeves, but ultimately prevails so it's "feminist?" I still liked it though. Sometimes you just want something that appeals to all the silly girl in you, especially when you're a teen.