Kyleigh's Reviews > Ripple

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

May 09, 11

Read in May, 2011

I definitely found a new supernatural creature that I love. Sirens= awesome. And they make for a very interesting story as well. I don’t really know what I was expecting when I started reading this, but in the end I really enjoyed it. It’s the traditional love story of wanting what you can’t have, but in this case it’s because of a curse. With every supernatural sect of YA lit there is always the complications of cross species dating. I’m immortal, you’re human, our relationship is doomed from the start. However, in Ripple this is taken to a whole new level. Surprisingly enough it didn’t come off cheesy. I’m always so worried about this type of romance, but I really did enjoy how things played out for Lexi and Cole.

Lexi is a Siren and is cursed to live a life of loneliness. The night she came into her birthright she killed the boy she loved, and for the past two years she has been punishing herself for it. Her former friends blame her for the boys death, though they don’t know how right they are. In order to keep people safe from herself, she puts herself in isolation. No friends, no social life, and most importantly no love. She swims in secret up in the mountains, far away from anyone that might hear her deadly song. Yet the first day of her senior year, one small gesture begins to melt Lexi’s heart. Cole, her former loves best friend, tries to include her. He genuinely seems to try and get to know her and tries to draw Lexi out of her shell. Soon, all of Lexi’s walls start crumbling around her as Cole grows closer and closer.

Lexi’s story is truly heart breaking. To be responsible for the death of the person you love is a fate I would not wish on anyone. The guilt alone would be enough to drive a person insane with grief. Lexi couldn’t help it, and she didn’t know what she was doing, but those facts seem irrelevant in comparison to what she lost. She’s shut herself off from the rest of the world, not out of self pity or depression, but to keep people safe. She’s terrified she will accidentally kill some unlucky passerby and does everything she can to keep people away. With a horrible past like Lexi’s one would expect her to be mopey and full of angst. However, Lexi is much stronger than that. She was a deeply admirable character with great strength. Her dad abandoned her and her mother when she was young and her mother killed herself. All she has left is her grandmother, and the way she looks after her is so sweet. I can’t imagine having to go through everything Lexi has and remain a genuinely nice person. She is truly the most admirable MC I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. For lack of a better word, she was awesome. I loved reading about her story and I was rooting for her to find happiness the whole time, because she truly deserves it.

I’m usually such a harsh critic on love stories, but I absolutely adored Ripple’s. Cole has no ulterior motive for talking to Lexi other than just being nice. He can’t stand the fact that he hasn’t spoken up sooner and has let Lexi suffer in solitude for the past two years. The way they fall for each other is so natural and truly embodies what love is supposed to be. What I loved in particular was the way Cole always asked “Are you okay?” or some variant. You’d think that a question like that would be annoying, but the situations where he said it, revealed his deep intuition for Lexie’s feelings and emotions. To know someone that well and care for their well-being was truly amazing.

Yes there is a love triangle of sorts. And guess what? I absolutely didn’t hate it. And I didn’t despise Lexi for it. First. Time. Ever. And it will probably never happen again so make note of it. Usually love triangles are “you’re my friend, but he’s hawt” type dumb ass conflicts. My hatred is palpable. Yet in Ripple it just made sense. In truth, it wasn’t a legit love triangle so that’s probably a major reason I didn’t hate it, but still, it counts.

I could probably keep rambling forever about what I loved about this book. It was excellently paced, the story was great, and it had equal parts of tragedy, hope, and love. I have not one criticism. I enjoyed it that much. I even got my happy ending! I’m 95% sure this is a stand alone novel, but I wouldn’t know out maybe different stories in the same realm. That would be awesome. I’m ecstatic that this story isn’t going to be drawn out into a trilogy. I love ‘em, but honestly sometimes they tire me out. Once again, I’m not for sure, but considering the story had a very good conclusion I’m not expecting more. I’m definitely going to have to read more by this author though, because I’m hooked. A truly wonderful love story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ripple.