Harriet's Reviews > Chasing Fire

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

May 09, 11

Read in May, 2011

For me, a nail-biting, edge-of-your-seater. Nora Roberts doesn't disappoint with this one. I've worked with with wildfire fighters in the past and her tale is right-on.

Other reviewers have mentioned seeing glimpses of her past characters in Rowan and Gull, but with as many novels (and characters) under her belt that NR has, how could you not. I love all the characters in Chasing Fire, including the rather easily spotted rotten apple. They are all well fleshed out and carry the reader fully into the excitment of their jumps, fights with nature, personal demons and love making. What more could the reader want? Perhaps a thorough education in the life of a Zulie? Well, NR delivers. Makes one wonder if NR made a few jumps herself. Very well done. I get scorched thinking about it.

A great deal of the novel is wrapped around the heroics and death defying acts of the smoke jumpers. The awesome details of fire behavior take you inside the action and is vastly interesting. That along with the personal dedication and experiences of the characters is vital to the story because they mesh into what make Rowan, Gull, Trigger, Cards and the other jumpers who they are, defining them as the family we come to realize they are.

The sweet romance of Lucas and Ella is a wonderful contrast to the sizzling hot road to love between Gull and Rowan. The strength we see in all four characters as they play out their various rolls is well done.

I heartily recommend Chasing Fire to Nora Roberts fans as a classic NR keeper. I find it hard to term this one as romance though romance is definitely a big slice of the story. Rather it is a beautifully told tale of action, a suspense thriller that should be enjoyed by anyone who gives it a whirl.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Fire.