Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > Erekos

Erekos by A.M. Tuomala

May 10, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, review-on-blog

Unfortunately, not every book available is a good fit for every reader. I enjoy many genres of books, fantasy included. I enjoy trying out new novels, authors, and styles, but every once in a long while, I come across a style that just does not suit me.
Erekos is a fantasy novel written in language that could be described as a literary prose. This sounded quite appealing, however, I discovered that this style of writing is not for me. The descriptions were often long, flowing, and felt too drawn out. I kept getting lost in the character descriptions (which were not very thorough) and the story line was unclear for a large part of the book. I couldn’t tell where the story was going, because I could hardly understand where the story stood. The story jumped to various points of view with irregularity. Throughout the book, I was confused and pretty much bored, and found myself skipping full paragraphs, and skimming through pages at a time.
I was tempted to put the book down many times, but I kept with it and finished the book. Basically the book is about a fantasy people, their fantasy gods, and the end of a war that will forever change the way the people will live. The story had potential, however, I felt that the story was poorly executed. The plight of the sisters was just very odd to me. Achane did not want to let her dead sister go, and she wound up creating and falling into trouble and battle. The entire scenario was just sad, and i didn’t see any redeeming qualities to this tragedy.
I will say that there was some beautiful language in the book. Some of the settings were very unique, and I can appreciate the creativity of the world created. I am very sorry to say it, and even sorrier to write it, but I just did not like this book. While I enjoy fantasy, this form of lyrical prose writing was not for me. I know that there are plenty of readers out there who appreciate the prose and beautiful language. I find that I enjoy more direct and clearly stated storyline. I will remember this in the future.

*you can find this review and more on my blog: http://booksavvybabe.blogspot.com *

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erekos.