Cinnamon's Reviews > The Gamble

The Gamble by LaVyrle Spencer

May 09, 2011

bookshelves: 1800s, adult, america, body-image, chick-lit, family-situations, friendship, historical-fiction, post-civil-war, re-read, romance, western-expansion, women, kansas
Read from May 09 to 11, 2011

I picked this book up to re-read because I really felt like reading a romance with a western theme. I couldn't remember the title, but I knew that this was one of my favorite Spencer books. I have read this story three times and love it more each time. It is definitely one of my favorite romances of all time, and one of my top favorites of any kind of book.

Setting :1880s Kansas and Mississippi

Agatha has resigned herself to a life of spinsterhood. She is 35 years old with a bad hip from a childhood accident that has made her less than desirable to the opposite sex. She can see the long, lonely years spreading out before her and she is miserable. Then her new landlord moves into the building where her milinery shop is and everything changes. Agatha's new neighbor is Scott Gandy, a southern gentleman who is using the other side of the building to house his new saloon. The two clash almost immediately over the wild clientele and prohibition. Agatha, who has first hand experience with the evils of alcohol, objects to the saloon and what they sell. She and Gandy buts heads more than once as she becomes a leader in the local temperance movement and he brings in dance hall girls and tawdry images to lure customers. It seems the two will never agree on anything until the night a boy falls into their lives and the adults become the guardians to the waif. Through Willy, Agatha and Gandy learn that they are each more than meets the eye and may be the best thing to happen to each other.

The secondary characters and small secondary romance really help to make the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gamble.

12/29/2015 marked as: to-read