julia's Reviews > Daughter of the Loom

Daughter of the Loom by Tracie Peterson

May 09, 11

Read in May, 2011

This story was a very sweet one, about a girl, Lilly, who has to figure out how to forgive those who have come in and industrialized her small farming community. She begins work in the textile mills that have invaded her community with the idea of sabotaging them, and while she does come around to repentance and forgiveness, it's not a sudden, flipping of the switch, 'Oh, I guess I was wrong" type of change. There's more growth to it than that. I'm also not quite sure I like the thought that a woman needs to have a man in order to be taken care of, but I suppose since this is set in the 1820's, I can live with that. Back then, that seemed to be the case more often than not--one reason the girls saw working in the mill as a good thing. They could earn money in an acceptable way to help their families while they waited for Mr Right to show up.

There are a few other threads of story here, but as this is the first in a trilogy I didn't expect them all to be tied up neatly, though Lilly's story was. This story also relies heavily on the fact that these people are all very religious--the girls in the mill are required to attend church every Sunday as part of their contract. It's nice to read a book that doesn't shy away from religion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Loom.