Lori's Reviews > The Mirror

The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser

May 09, 2011

liked it

This is a solid 3, which means nothing earth shattering but I read it through with a great deal of enjoyment, and even *gasp* some thought! The writing itself is a far cry from "litrature" but the characters were interesting and likable. And I don't know about you, but I've always been suspicious about mirrors, especially when I was a kid - there's definitely a Twilight Zone mystique about them. Ya know, the whole "into another world" possibility. And scary thoughts, what if I don't see my reflection? What if *cringe* I see something else, OH NOOOOOOO.

This book is a great spin on that childhood magic, where The Mirror does indeed do very weird things, and has malevolent intent. Plus, we also get into time travel, which I always like if well done. Here we have 2 characters, grandmother and granddaughter switch places. I like the way they both had a ton of psychological adjustment due to the differences in morality, customs, gender roles, etc. I always imagined the tough times someone from today would have in the past. But think about a Victorian woman waking up in the here and now, and finding herself not just without a corset, but no bra and a tank top! THE HORROR. And suddenly the granddaughter is the mother of her own mother? WEIRDNESS.

Yep, I like this book. I had fun reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mirror.

03/23 marked as: read