Nathaniel ΘΣ's Reviews > Our Tragic Universe

it was ok
bookshelves: librarybook, drama, 2011books
Recommended for: no one!
Read from August 25 to September 07, 2011 , read count: 1

I'm not sure if I might have done better with this book if I’d not read it after Special Topics in Calamity Physics, as both books are not easy reads. As with Special Topics I think I was mislead by the blurb on the back. The line about 'a knitting pattern for the shape of the universe' sounded like something Douglas Adams would come up with and combined with something about computer-generated afterlives, I thought it would be a humorous look at internet stuff but I was completely wrong.

It's actually quite a complex book to understand but the main point of it is that it's a story-less story, something which is actually discussed a lot in the book. So basically it's trying to be representative of its own theme which is both convoluted and the worse kind of self-aggrandisement.

Because it's a story-less story - a story with no plot and where nothing happens per se - it mostly consists of characters sitting around having grand conversations about philosophy and various theories which can make for very dull reading. This makes it a bit more realistic than most books, because real life doesn't always follow through in a straight line from action through to consequences and the end where everything is neatly concluded and all loose ends tied up, but at the same time, not many people like to read books where nothing is resolved.

I didn't particularly enjoy this book primarily because it didn't feel like it was going anywhere but also because it seemed to end without answering some major questions. The characters weren't particularly engaging which didn't help either. Some were downright irritating and I wanted to give Meg a good shaking most of the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Tragic Universe.