Nathaniel ΘΣ's Reviews > Witches Incorporated

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: humour, fantasy, librarybook, 2011books
Recommended to Nathaniel by: Blue
Read from October 07 to 17, 2011, read count: 1

I’d reasonably enjoyed the first book and had been given a copy of the last in the trilogy so had to read the second one.

I was quite disappointed with this one, it didn’t live up to the potential that I thought the story had. The focus was mostly on the characters of Melissande, Bibbi and Reg, rather than on Gerald who I thought was supposed to be the main one! The characters as a whole are rather simplistic, there’s not a great deal to them at all. Out of the female characters, Bibbi was the most interesting one out of the three, although she was just too perfect for my liking. I find Reg very irritating and the sections where she and Mel were arguing with each other were rather annoying and far too numerous. I find Monk the most likeable character of the lot but he’s not in this book very much.

The story was interesting, with some good twists, and a nice way of pulling together two threads. It was obvious that both plots would be linked in some way so some of the turns weren’t as surprising as they could have been. It didn’t give me any real laughs as such, there were a couple of chuckles but I didn’t find it laugh out loud funny at all.

I had a couple of issues with the writing, and there were some major points that really should have been caught by the editor. There were several instances when two characters were talking where one was referred to initially just as ‘he’ and it wasn’t clear which one it was. Every time, I had to re-read that section because I couldn’t work out who was talking until the end of it. It was really bad writing and it happened far too often. It also seemed like the majority of the book was taken up with dialogue - or rather shouting matches - and a lot of that was pointless and didn’t contribute to the overall storyline.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witches Incorporated.