K.Butler's Reviews > The Hunt for the Seventh

The Hunt for the Seventh by Christine Morton-Shaw

May 16, 11

Read from May 09 to 16, 2011

My overall view of this book is that it is a "Davinci Code" for middle schoolers. Jim Brown is a young boy who has recently lost his mother and moved to a huge estate where his father is the head groundskeeper. Jim also happens to see dead people. He also has a knack for snooping around where he's not supposed to be and getting caught. The plot revolves around the mystery of 6 unexplained child deaths on the estate and local folklore surrounding the area. I didn't really like the main character, Jim - he seemed stupid to always be getting caught and in trouble. He also seemed moody and not very friendly. There was a lot of repetition of the same elements (like willows, water, lanterns, etc) until the whole connection was finally made clear. The story just wasn't very gripping to me. I figured things out before Jim did and knew he would be the town hero by the end of the book. I would recommend this book to students who like ghost stories or folklore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt for the Seventh.