Emily's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 05: The Best Defense

The Walking Dead, Vol. 05 by Robert Kirkman

May 09, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, series, graphic-novels
Read in May, 2011

I have to take a pause and just recap the emotions I've been feeling while reading this series. I think this volume in particular really brings to light the depravity of humanity when faced with something like the zombie apocalypse. Kirkman really shows all aspects and possibilites of what humanity might go through, whether it be good or bad and he covers all aspects of coping, grieving, surviving, and trying to live in a completely different world. I'm constantly impressed by the thought that was put into this series because it's not just about the blood and gore and cool zombies drawings (though those are wonderfully done and awesomely awesome) but I feel like it's the culmination of every scenario and situation that would befall people. What's even more astounding is that he can capture such a range of emotion through so little words. We see the bonding and honesty that comes from the survivors while at the same time are aware of the fact that some of the characters are losing it, and rightly so. The survivors are not just cookie cutter stereotypes of what we'd expect in a post-apocalyptic fantasy, but extensions of human characteristics. All in all, pretty freaking fantastic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 05.