elissa's Reviews > Rite Of Passage

Feb 29, 08

bookshelves: sciencefiction, adultnovels, ad-for-ya, my_70s_reads, own_it
Recommended for: fans of Heinlein
Read in October, 1979

One of my favorite middle school SF reads. I remember a friend asked me to recommend an SF for a report, since she never read SF, and she loved it too. It won the Nebula award in 1969, and although it's an adult novel, it's quintessentially YA, since the protagonist is a 14 yr old girl, and it's about her coming of age. Earth has been destroyed, and humans are flying around to colony worlds on enormous spaceships. All 14 year olds have to be tested for a month on a colony world (called a Trial). There's also a tame but fairly memorable love story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rite Of Passage.

June Would you be willing to lend this to me? I don't see it in DC's or Montgomery's collection.

message 2: by elissa (last edited Mar 01, 2008 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

elissa Yup, absolutely! I'd love to hear how it holds up for adults! Have you read other Heinlein besides RED PLANET? I can't remember whether you already told me that or not. You did see that I recommended it for Heinlein fans, right?

Are you at WOD today, or at home? I'm at SPK.

June I don't remember reading Red Planet, before. However, I am pretty sure I have read some Heinlein before. I'll have to scroll through some titles and see if any sound familiar. By the way Scott put Red Planet as his favorite book for his report about himself. Actually, he calls it Mars The Red Planet. He still talks about Willis too. I will have to see if I can get him to sit down and respond to the questions. I should also try and figure out the kid's account for yahoo. Are you working Monday, Wednesday or Thursday? I could swing by on my way home from work about 1:30 if you can find Rite of Passage. I am home and been ferrying kids to play dates.