Tânia's Reviews > Uma Questão de Fé

Uma Questão de Fé by Jodi Picoult

May 20, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, jodi-picoult, pt
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

This one didn’t hold my attention, and it was quite difficult to get into the story. It revolves around seven-year-old girl, Faith White, who seeks comfort in a new friend whom she calls her “Guard”, after her parents sudden divorce, while her mother falls in the depths of depression preceded by her husband’s cheating.

The plot has potential to become greater than it actually is, and that’s one of the main reasons it led me to pick up this book. I thought the premise of a non-religious little girl, suddenly developing stigmatas and performing miracles like bringing her grandmother back from the dead and healing incurable diseases was pretty interesting, not to mention the characters who are always so human and realistic. Adding Ian Flecther, an atheist, into a story where we’re all confronted with religion despite our personal beliefs, was genius but i felt like his relationship with Mariah lacked something, maybe credibility? I wanted to get more insight on Faith and i think it could have engrossed the story, had we known more about what was going on inside her head.

The fact that the story of several characters was told in the third person, and only Mariah in first person, was a bit confusing. The ending was quite disappointing, i was expecting a final twist that would make me hold on to this book but instead i got untwisted. A lot of questions were left unanswered, intended to keep you guessing. It reminded me of “Change of Heart”, which i liked better.

Overall, it was a pleasant reading and i did enjoy the book. Jodi Picoult’s writing always blows me away, but i have to say this one's my least favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uma Questão de Fé.

05/09/2011 page 72