Shannon's Reviews > Hide

May 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: mysteries, audiobooks
Read on May 09, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Hide held my interest, but a few things kept me from giving it a higher rating:

1. The back-and-forth between first-person and third-person narration was annoying, particularly in the audio edition I listened to. It usually took me a paragraph or so to figure out what was happening every time it switched.

2. I'm really tired of the only character identified as a Christian predictably being a bad guy. Yes, hypocrites do exist, but if you believe mainstream fiction, every Christian is a psychopath, a self-centered hypocrite, or simply a villian masquerading as a do-gooder. (And in Christian fiction, they're usually superficial and boring.) I'd love to see some more geniune Christians portrayed in fiction -- characters who are better people (not worse) because of their faith.

3. The ending was just a bit too over the top. Too many coincidences would have to take place for everything to come together as it did, and it's particularly hard to believe that someone so steeped in self-defense wouldn't be better at spotting the bad guys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hide.